We have made a strong commitment to sustainability and are always striving to do more. In this article, we will underline our commitment to sustainability – shining a light on the improvements we have made so far and the ambitious goals we are determined to achieve in future.
What does sustainability mean to Elastoplast?
Recent developments and innovations have allowed us to implement sweeping changes with a significant environmental impact. Although some corporate sustainability initiatives have a narrow focus on environmental issues, our sustainability agenda also strives to promote societally sustainable practices. We work tirelessly to ensure that employees along our entire value chain are respected, appreciated and have the rights they deserve. In addition, we are committed to promoting an inclusive society in which everyone has a place.
Meaningful action to make our products and packaging more sustainable
At Elastoplast, we have already taken great strides forward when it comes to the sustainability of our products, packaging and operations. However, we know that there is still a long way to go: further action is urgently needed. Below is a summary of our achievements to date, our commitments for the years ahead, and our goals for the future.
As part of Beiersdorf, from 2012 to 2019, we…
- reduced energy-related CO2 emissions from product manufacturing by 41%,
- achieved at least 55% of sales from products with an improved environmental impact, and
- moved to source 100% of our electricity from renewable energy sources as of 2019.
At Elastoplast, our new, lighter folding boxes save 106 tonnes of paper every year – equivalent to the weight of 18 adult African elephants – and are designed for maximum environmental compatibility. In addition, our paper and cardboard is also 100% FSC certified.
We have also removed plastic from our sealing pouches, a change that saves 83 tonnes of plastic each year. This figure is equivalent to a continuous strip of plasters winding around the world 13.5 times.
Building on our progress to date, we have made meaningful commitments for the next few years in support of the Circular Economy concept.
- Our parent company Beiersdorf aims to use a minimum of 30% recycled plastic material in its plastic packaging by 2025. At Elastoplast, we will play our part in implementing this change.
- All of our product packaging will be refillable, reusable or recyclable by 2025.
- We will also aim to ensure that our products are free of animal-derived materials (ADM), microplastics, mineral oil, Keromet, Colan and fluorocarbons by 2025.
Although there is an urgent need for immediate tangible action, the environmental problems we face will not be eliminated overnight. This will require decades of effort and a long-term vision for the future. Over the longer term, we have committed to:
- a 30% reduction in value-chain emissions,
- a 30% waste reduction in operations, and
- a 50% reduction in the use of fossil-based virgin plastic.
At Elastoplast, we recognise the scale of the challenge facing us and accept our responsibility to people and the planet. It is for this reason, and in the interests of generations to come, that we have set ourselves such ambitious commitments.
The CARE BEYOND SKIN Sustainability Agenda
Elastoplast is part of Beiersdorf, a global skin care company with a global approach to sustainability. As a result, sustainability is deeply rooted in our corporate culture and a key element of our decision-making processes – and, from 2020, an integral part of Beiersdorf’s C.A.R.E.+ corporate strategy.
Beiersdorf’s new CARE BEYOND SKIN Sustainability Agenda is focused on three topic areas: the environment, society, and consumers. We have identified seven focus fields within these areas with the aim of focusing our efforts going forward. These are:
- For a climate positive future
- For fully circular resources
- For sustainable land use
- For regenerative water environments
- For employees along our entire value chain
- For an inclusive society
- For consumer health and wellbeing
We will develop these topic areas and focus fields in the years to come, defining targets that will shape our aspirations and help us measure our progress. We are more passionate and determined than ever to act on this crucial topic and contribute as a business to positive change on a global scale.
For further information, please contact us via email at Hansaplast@Beiersdorf.com