Reduces the visibility of raised and coloured scars
- Makes scars flatter, softer and lighter
- Suitable for new and old scars
- First results noticeable after 3 to 4 weeks
Living with scars
Elastoplast Scar Reducer
Learn more about scar treatment and prevention here.
- Discreet transparent patch
- Flexible and breathable material for high wearing comfort
- Easy-to-use, can be cut to size
- Very skin-friendly
How does Scar Reducer work?
The transparent polyurethane patch is designed to build a semi-occlusive barrier which improves hydration of the scar tissue. It also increases temperature in the scar tissue. This helps to activate the skin’s own regeneration process and supports the remodelling of the scar. The scars become flatter, lighter and softer.
Interested in knowing more?
|3.8 x 6.8 cm
|Scar Reducer XL||3 x 14.6 cm||21 patches|
- 1. How do scars form?
- Scarring is a natural part of the healing process after tissue is damaged. Following and injury, wounds go through distinct phases of wound healing. The wound healing process finally leads to the maturation phase, during which the scar tissue reorganizes. It can take years, depending on the size and depth of the original wound.
- 2. Which types of scars is the SCAR REDUCER suitable for?
- Clinical studies have shown Elastoplast Scar Reducer to be effective in the case of raised and coloured hypertrophic scars and keloids. Scars become flatter, lighter and softer. Elastoplast Scar Reducer can be used for both new and old scars, on the face or body.
- 3. How do SCAR REDUCER patches work?
- The transparent polyurethane patch is designed to build a semi-occlusive barrier which improves hydration of the scar tissue. It also increases temperature in the scar tissue. This helps to activate the skin’s own regeneration process and supports the re-modelling of the scar.
- 4. What is SCAR REDUCER made of?
- The Elastoplast Scar Reducer patches are made of polyurethane, a very skin-friendly material which is suitable for sensitive skin. Products made of this material have been used for years in the professional wound care area. The patches contain no active ingredients (pharmaceuticals).
- 5. When can I start the SCAR REDUCER treatment? And how long will the scar treatment take?
- Treatment can be started as soon as the wound has completely closed and healed and after sutures have been removed in the case of a surgical intervention. Clinical studies have shown positive results after 8 weeks of consecutive use of at least 12h a day. First results are noticeable after 3 to 4 weeks. Using the patch for longer than 8 weeks may further improve the appearance of the scar. Results may vary from person to person and from scar to scar.
- 6. How to use SCAR REDUCER?
- Remove the protective paper from the adhesive side of the patch and apply the patch on clean and dry skin, making sure that the scar is completely covered. If the scar cannot be completely covered, several patches can be applied next to each other. For smaller scars, patches can be cut to the desired size. The ideal usage time of the patch is 12h to 24h a day. It is recommended to change the patch daily. You should also change the patch when it gets dirty or when adhesion is insufficient.
- 7. Is Elastoplast SCAR REDUCER suitable for every size of scar?
- For large scars, two or more patches can be applied next to each other. The patches can be cut to size for use on smaller scars.
- 8. Can a scar be completely removed with Elastoplast SCAR REDUCER?
- As with other treatment methods, it is not possible to make the scar “invisible” with Elastoplast Scar Reducer. However, major improvement is possible.
- 9. Is the use of Elastoplast SCAR REDUCER painful?
- The skin-friendly patches were specially developed to be worn successively for several consecutive weeks on the same area. Thanks to the gentle adhesion technology, changing patches is pain-free.
- 10. What else should be kept in mind when caring for scars?
- Recent scars should initially not be exposed to any extreme temperatures. Intense sunlight, high heat and extreme cold can also have an adverse effect on scar formation. In addition, tight-fitting clothes may irritate the scar tissue and should be avoided. Caution is also advised when performing stretches and strengthening exercises as damaged skin is extremely sensitive.
- 11. Does the Elastoplast SCAR REDUCER work with caesarean section scars?
- The Elastoplast Scar Reducer can be used on a caesarean scar if it is raised and coloured. No restrictions for use are known for nursing women. In case of questions, please contact your doctor or pharmacist.
- 12. Can I use the Elastoplast SCAR REDUCER to avoid scars?
- If the skin has been ruptured you cannot avoid a scar, but you can make the scar less visible. Treatment can be started as soon as wound healing is completed. This means, that the wound has completely closed and sutures have been removed in the case of a surgical intervention.
- 13. Can the Elastoplast SCAR REDUCER lighten the colour of my scar?
- Scar Reducer does not contain any colour-altering ingredient. The redness of a scar is an indication of agitation of the scar tissue. Treatment with the Scar Reducer balances the regeneration process resulting in a reduction of redness.
- 14. Can I shower with the Elastoplast SCAR REDUCER?
- Yes, you can take a short shower or exercise with the patch. Even if some parts or the edges of the patch come loose, they will stick again once the patch has dried.
- 15. Is the product skin-friendly?
- The polyurethane material of the Scar Reducer is known to be very skin friendly and is suitable for sensitive skin. Products made of this material are very common in professional wound care. The Scar Reducer patches are breathable and hydro-active and will not cause maceration beneath the patch.
For further information, please contact us via email at Hansaplast@Beiersdorf.com